While winter seems like it’s already been going on for far too long, its effect on our heating bill is just starting. Keeping energy costs low during the coldest months of the year can be a challenge, but that doesn’t mean you can’t take steps to potentially reduce those costs. That’s why we’ve come up with a few furnace tips to help stave off high heating bills.
To take aim at lowering your heating bills and boosting your energy efficiency this winter, consider:
- Keeping your blinds open during the warmest parts of the day to let sunlight in, helping warm your home naturally.
- Sealing cracks and crevices around your home’s windows and doors with caulk or weather stripping.
- Purchasing a programmable thermostat so that you can more precisely control the temperature in your home, which will also increase energy efficiency.
- Cleaning or replacing your furnace filter every three months.
- Checking your home's heating vents to ensure they are open and aren’t blocked by any obstructions
- Replacing your old furnace with a newer, more efficient model if your furnace has been around for more than 15 years.
- Installing insulation to your attic to keep heat from escaping.
- Checking your roof to ensure your shingles are intact, and that no holes or areas need sealing.
Trying to keep your energy bills down and energy efficiency up, is a year-round effort, one that can seem overwhelming at times. However, that doesn’t mean that you can’t take a few small steps to make sure you’re keeping your bills as low as possible. If you have any questions related to the tips above or questions about how you can reduce your heating bills, give us a buzz at 309-517-7511. Our experts are here to help you keep your home comfortable all year long, even with the crazy Moline weather.