Generally, air ducts need to be cleaned every three to five years according to the National Air Duct Cleaners Association
. Depending on a lot of factors—like your home’s location, whether or not you have pets, and how frequently your air filter has been changed, to name a few—you may need to have air duct cleaning
more or less often. So, how can you find out for sure when it’s time to have your ducts cleaned? There are absolutely some telltale signs when it’s time.
Look for these clues:
- Are your cold air returns coated with dust or pet hair?
- Is there a blockage within your cold air return vent?
- Are your registers carrying out dust?
- When you gaze inside with a flashlight, can you see a collection of debris or pet fur?
- Have insects or rodents nestled in your ductwork?
- Can you hear noise other than your blower motor when you listen to the airflow?
- When your vents are fully opened, do any have less airflow than others?
If you answered “yes” to any of these questions, it’s probably time to ask J.L. Brady Company LLC in Moline about air duct cleaning.
Prolonging Time Between Air Duct Cleaning
There are a couple things you can do to help keep your ducts cleaner and lengthen the period of time between professional cleanings.
Above all, schedule regular HVAC maintenance with the professionals at J.L. Brady Company LLC. A maintenance check of your furnace each fall and your AC each spring, which should comprise of inspection, and potential replacement, of your air filter, will help keep your HVAC system operating effectively, and should help keep your ducts clean.
You can also talk to the team at J.L. Brady Company LLC about installing an air purification system. We provide the Lennox PureAir Air Purification System, Healthy Climate Carbon Clean 16 Media Air Cleaner, Healthy Climate 11 Media Air Cleaner, Healthy Climate High-Efficiency Particulate Air (HEPA) Filtration System and Healthy Climate UV Germicidal Lights.
Other measures you can take include:
- Consistently dusting and vacuuming your home.
- Checking your air filters routinely and exchanging them when the manufacturer recommends exchanging them. Most filters will present dust on them after a short period in service, but they may not require replacement.
- Sealing drips in air ducts that permit dust to move in from areas like your attic.
- Replacing poor or damaged air-duct insulation.
With a professional air duct cleaning and some preemptive measures, you can help keep the air in your Moline home clean and healthy. Give the pros at J.L. Brady Company LLC a call at 309-517-7511.