Generally, air ducts need to be cleaned every three to five years according to the National Air Duct Cleaners Association
. Dependent on a lot of factors—like your home’s location, whether or not you have pets, and how often your air filter has been replaced, to name a few—you may require air duct cleaning
more or less regularly. So, how can you find out for sure when it’s time to have your ducts cleaned? There are absolutely some revealing signs when it’s time.
Look for these clues:
- Are your cold air returns caked with dust or pet hair?
- Is there a jam inside your cold air return vent?
- Are your registers wafting out dust?
- When you check inside with a flashlight, can you see an accumulation of debris or pet fur?
- Have insects or rodents found shelter in your ductwork?
- Can you hear sound other than your blower motor when you listen to the airflow?
- When your vents are fully opened, do any have less airflow than others?
If you answered “yes” to any of these questions, it’s most likely time to ask J.L. Brady Company LLC in Moline about air duct cleaning.
Prolonging Time Between Air Duct Cleaning
There are a couple things you can do to help keep your ducts cleaner and extend the timeline between professional cleanings.
Mostly importantly, arrange routine HVAC maintenance with the experts at J.L. Brady Company LLC. A tune-up of your furnace each fall and your AC each spring, which should include inspection, and potential replacement, of your air filter, will help keep your HVAC system running well, and should help keep your ducts clean.
You can also chat with the team at J.L. Brady Company LLC about installing an air purification system. We have the Lennox PureAir Air Purification System, Healthy Climate Carbon Clean 16 Media Air Cleaner, Healthy Climate 11 Media Air Cleaner, Healthy Climate High-Efficiency Particulate Air (HEPA) Filtration System and Healthy Climate UV Germicidal Lights.
Other actions you can take include:
- Consistently dusting and vacuuming your home.
- Checking your air filters habitually and changing them when the manufacturer recommends changing them. Most filters will display dust on them after a short time in service, but they may not demand replacement.
- Sealing seepages in air ducts that allow dust to move in from areas like your attic.
- Exchanging poor or damaged air-duct insulation.
With a specialized air duct cleaning and some preventive measures, you can help keep the air in your Moline home clean and healthy. Give the experts at J.L. Brady Company LLC a call at 309-517-7511.